> Special Projects
> St Mary's Church and Graveyard
Kilkenny Borough Council
Notice of Proposed Development by a Local Authority
Planning & Development Acts (2000-2013)
Planning & Development Regulations (2001-2012)
In accordance with Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations, Kilkenny Borough Council hereby gives notice of it's intention to carry out the following development at St. Mary's Church (St. Mary's Hall), St. Mary's Lane, Kilkenny (St. Mary's Church is a Protected Structure located in the City Centre Architectural Conservation Area):
- Conservation and development works to St. Mary's Church to facilitate the change of use of the protected structure from parish hall and masonic lodge to a public museum.
- External works proposed include the repointing of stonework, re-roofing using existing and selected new slates, new glazing to existing windows, the removal of later infill to original aisle arcades and conservation and stabilization works to the tower.
- Internal works proposed include the provision of a new concrete and stone floor throughout, adjustments to the wall separating the Monument Room and the main church to re-unite the volumes, the provision of a new gallery at the western end of the nave with spiral staircase access. The provision of a new access staircase within the tower and the conservation and restoration of internal features and finishes. New WC accommodation will be located in cubicles within the existing vestry.
- The construction of a new extension on the site of, and to the same dimensions as, the original north aisle which will protect and display archaeological features. The original north aisle arcade will open into this space. This single storey extension will have a leadwork finish externally.
- An additional new extension to the eastern elevation of the church to be called the 'Kilkenny Room' with pitched roof, leadwork external finish and glazed east window, to be constructed on the walls of the original chancel to provide space for the public display of Kilkenny artefacts. Blockwork to the top of the existing east wall will be removed and replaced with a timber and wattle screen. A lift and staircase will link this room to the existing church; a new 1.0m wide door to access the room will be made in the east wall of the existing chancel.
The plans and particulars of the proposed development will be available from Friday the 20th September until Wednesday 6th November 2013 for inspection or purchase at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy at the offices of Kilkenny Borough Council, City Hall, High Street between the hours of 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) and Carnegie Library, John's Quay between the hours of 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 8pm Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm Thursdays and Fridays, and 10am to 1:30pm Saturdays (except Bank Holiday weekends).
Download the Part 8 Submission September 2013
St Mary's Hall Part 8 Presentation.pdf (size 2.3 MB)
It is proposed to hold a public information and consultation seminar on the proposed development in City Hall, High Street on Thursday 3rd October at 7pm.
Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development will be situated, may be made in writing to the undersigned, not later than Friday 22nd November 2013 at 12.00 noon.
Brian Tyrrell, Town Clerk, City Hall, High Street, Kilkenny.